Saturday, March 7, 2009

Quick and Easy DIY Hot Rice Pack

So I've been slowly collecting things to put in my birthing kit and one thing I knew I wanted this time around was a hot pack. I've seen WAHM made packs sold at Christmas boutiques and online but I needed one that I knew was going to make it to me intime for labor and delivery (which could be any day now) so I went about making one for myself.

After working out a rough pattern, collecting the supplies and sewing, filling, and warming, my husband quickly confiscated my first pack and call it his own. Considering it was pink with little pink daisies on it, I figured he would maybe want one a little more... masucline... so I made a more detailed pattern and took pictures while I made his so I could share how easy it was with all of you!

This will make a 6"x11" warm pack that stays warm for about a half hour or longer. I find that heating mine 1.5 minutes in our small, low watt, microwave is just right for me but hubby, who is a bit more cold blooded than me, heats his for at least 2 min. I suggest starting at 1 min and working your way up in the beginning.


What you need:

Photobucket

  • 1 - 12"x12.5" piece of 100% cotton cloth (I purchased a fat quarter for quilting and cut it down)

  • 2lbs of white medium to long grain white rice (the cheaper the better... it's not for eating)

  • sewing machine, coordinating thread, and straight pins

  • optional items: 1 cup of your choice of dried herbs (I used german camomile only for hubby's and 1/2c of lavender and 1/2c of camomile for mine) and funnel

How to make your hot pack:

  1. gather all supplies and mix your rice with your herbs

    Photobucket

  2. fold your fabric in half, right sides together, hamburger style (12" side touching the other 12" side), pin down the long side and one of the short sides

    Photobucket

  3. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew along 12" side, backstitching a couple times at the beginning, turn and continue along short side till you reach the end. Backstitch a couple times there too. Make sure one end of your bag is not sewn shut.

    PhotobucketPhotobucket

  4. repeat step 3, sewing along the stitches you just made (I do this just to reinforce the stitch because I really don't want a rice mess everywhere because a stitch decided to give out)

    Photobucket

  5. turn bag right side out.

    Photobucket

  6. fill with rice/herb mixture (this is where the funnel comes in handy)

    Photobucket

  7. turn about 3/4 of an inch of the raw (open) end into the bag and pin shut.

    Photobucket

  8. sew closed using a 1/2" seam allowance and backstitching a couple times at the beginning and end. Make sure to keep the rice/herb mixture out of the way of your needle.

    Photobucket

  9. sew another line along that same edge using a 1/4" seam allowance and backstitching at the beginning and end.

    Photobucket

  10. trim all the little ends and voila! you have your very own hot pack ready to be used

    Photobucket

Oh and just as a side note: hubby's 100% camomile bag smells a bit like instant apple/cinnamon oatmeal.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I had some soy silk in dye pots earlier today and while waiting for them I checked my blog. I saw your comment (so glad my post was helpful) and then came to see your blog. Your last post just happens to be something I've been wanting to make for a while now. I just wanted you to know that you helped me too!