Friday, July 24, 2009

Simple Pleasures

One of my all time favorite songs is Simple Gifts. It's an old Shaker song that sings about simple gifts in life. I'm sure at some point you have heard the song and may even know the lyrics:

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come out right.

I find myself getting lost in the doldrums of everyday life. I'm the kind of person who doesn't generally find joy in cleaning my house or folding laundry. But, this morning, while doing the dishes I started humming this song to myself and to my son who was helping me. Then I started realizing that every day is filled with simple gifts, or simple pleasures, that make the days enjoyable and make life worth living.

So in the spirit of recognizing and truly appreciating the simple pleasures in my life, I'd like to start sharing with you some of the little joys that break up the monotony of my "every day" living. And in return I would love to hear about some of the simple pleasures in yours.

No comments: