Friday, June 4, 2010

Part II: Pretending the Squiggle is a Square

Attempt #1: extreme organization

Seeing my struggle, a friend recommended going at my house with a much more organized approach. You see, because I'm a very... free... spirit, I don't have a routine and structured mindset so "cleaning routine" was new to my vocabulary. She suggest I write down the things I'd like to get accomplished on a daily/weekly/monthly basis and then organize it so I don't think I have to do it all every day.

I started by writing down everything that needed to be done. In the kitchen: dishes, counters, pantry organization, sweeping, moping, cleaning the microwave, fridge organization, etc. and I did that for every room in the house. Then it all got spread out onto a 6 day checklist with once weekly and once monthly columns and away I went with my new cleaning routine.

About a month into it I realized I couldn't keep up with the expectations I put on myself and started to slip back into discouragement and eventually scrapped the whole thing because, "Why try to be something I'm not. I can't keep a good home and that's all there is to it."

Back in to chaos my house went and I felt even more beat down than before. If this is how it's going to be then I'm out...

1 comment:

Amie said...

yeah, I tried, but she was still too structured and I needed something where I could focus on a section of the house a day instead of a week.