Monday, May 24, 2010

Summer is fast approaching

So April went just as fast as it came and now we're into the middle of May and I've come to a startling realization that summer break is just around the bend. That means three months of having my oldest at home all day. Now I love my daughter to pieces and I love spending time with her, but she is a get up and go kinda girl and sometimes it can be just a bit too much for me. She's the one who jumps on my bed early in the morning and asks, "Where are we going today?" And when the answer is nowhere, she gets a very sad look on her face and then proceeds to act out for the rest of the day. So... I need a plan.

What is that plan you may ask? Well, I'm taking a cue from summer camps and homeschooling and we're going to have a theme for each week. It will start on Friday of the previous week where we will head to the library and choose a theme for the next week. Based on that theme we will pick up books on the theme and over the weekend I will come up with a game plan for the following week.

We are test driving this plan right now. Our theme is bugs and insects (oh.yay. mommy's.favorite*bleh*) and it seems to be going well so far. We have books on general information about insects, specific information about certain insects my kids like (roly polies) and an insect origami book. Outdoor activities such as going on a hiking trip with magnifying glasses to observe insects and insect photo shoots where we will take pictures and then make an album about what we've learned.

All in all I'm pretty excited about the summer. It should make for a pretty exciting time of getting to know each other again and learning something new.

No comments: